Friday, May 1, 2009

Sandbag


Sandbag

(SAND-bag)
verb

MEANING

1 : to bank, stop up, or weight with sandbags
2 : to hit or stun with or as if with a sandbag b : to treat unfairly or harshly
*3 : to conceal or misrepresent one's true position, potential, or intent especially in order to take advantage of

EXAMPLE SENTENCE
Shortly after agreeing to place a wager on the match, Eugie realized she had been sandbagged and was clearly outmatched by her opponent.


Me: Merriam-Webster, are you fucking with me? Sandbag? Out of 470,000 words, that's the one you choose. Are you drunk or just lazy? Why not just choose the word Cat or Hot and call it a day?

Merriam-Webster: Well, I did put in a fun fact about 9th Century ruffians bludgeoning each other with bags filled with sand. I thought you would enjoy that. I thought the word ruffian would make you smile?

Me: It did make me smile.

Merriam-Webster: I know, you texted me LOL, ruffians!

Me: I have no recollection of doing that.

Merriam-Webster: Do you have any recollection of texting me again at 4:37 am saying I should come over and make out with you?

Me: That was a mass text.

Merriam-Webster: Now you are just being cruel.

Me: You're the one who thinks I don't know the word sandbag.

Merriam-Webster: Use it in a sentence.

Me: If you send me another word tomorrow which I already know I will take a fifty pound sandbag and throw it at you.

Merriam-Webster: I am a book, and I'm a hardcover at that. You're tactic of violence would have very little effect on me.

Me: Well then I will rip out your pages and burn them one by one.

Merriam-Webster: I can't talk to you when you're like this. I'm cutting off communication with you until you calm down. Goodbye.

Me: I love you.

Merriam-Webster: I love you, too.

1 comment:

MEBEE said...

yeah, but did you know the use of 'sandbag' as a verb, the way you used it in the sentence? i didn't. god bless merriam webster.