Saturday, May 2, 2009

Gadzookery


Gadzookery

(gad-ZOO-kuh-ree)
noun

MEANING
British : the use of archaisms (as in a historical novel)

EXAMPLE SENTENCE

Eugie wishes she was more familiar with Archaic Expressions so her writing could be accused of containing too much Gadzookery--cause that would be sweet.


This word is awesome for the following reasons:

1. It looks like a made up word, something that Dr. Seuss would write a book about, or perhaps something you would yell in a British television comedy if someone put their hand up your skirt at a pub, "Gadzookery, Bob you are certainly surly tonight!"

2. It lead me to this website http://phrontistery.info/archaic.html where I learned that the archaic term for mad; insane and wild is...wait for it, wait for it....wood! Which made me smile because the word wood is just funny, in almost any context. I also learned that the word gardyloo is a "warning cry" which i found interesting because if someone yelled gardyloo at me I would probably smile and wave-- maybe even give them a thumbs up, or laugh hysterically. But I certianlly wouldn't come to their aid. Now i will! If I'm not too busy....

3. If I ever have a kid and he/she turns out to be irritating or too short or too expensive or pigheaded or unattractive; I will immediatly change it's name to Gazookery and call it a day.

4. There is no number 4. All proper lists only consist of 3 examples. You should know that....

1 comment:

MEBEE said...

I might be mistaken, but that felt like a "Words of the Day" -- stick to one biatch! My head hurts.