Friday, May 8, 2009

Embonpoint


Embonpoint
(ahng-bohng-PWANG)
(the "ng" is never pronounced, but the vowels are nasalized)
Noun

MEANING
Plumpness of person; stoutness

EXAMPLE SENTENCE
You can never been too poor or too embonpoint.


I had to listen to the audio pronunciation to learn how to correctly say this word. And then I found myself listening to it over and over again because the person's voice on the recording sounds REALLY familiar, but I just can't put my finger on it. It's what I imagine phone sex operators occasionally go through when they hear a voice on the other line and think, "Is that my cousin Danny? Is IS Danny! This is so awkward."

However, if he were saying the words lard ass or fatty to me, I would not have listened to him for a second. Not simply because I already know how to pronounce those words, but because they are ugly, not the context but the pronunciation. Whereas embonpoint is pretty and cheeky; even flirty because you have to purse your lips in a kissing motion to say it.

I suppose if I ever throw in the towel (any day now...) and allow myself to expand into a state of plump happiness I will have to move to France. That way when people called me fat, they would be forced to make kissing gestures in my direction while saying the word...which really negates the point and would just make me feel good about myself all day.

3 comments:

MEBEE said...

that's a freaky word.
haha and the 'word verification' to post my comment is 'fatoge' -- not real but hey, seems as obscure as this.

jorg wobblington lopez said...

Where did you find that sculpture of me?

Eugenia Borkowski said...

Well jorg, as they say, if you build it, it will come.