Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Deasil


Deasil
(DEE-zil)
adverb

MEANING
1. Clockwise

EXAMPLE SENTENCE
As in, "No you idiot, your other deasil."

According to ancient Scottish custom you can bring someone good luck by walking clockwise around them three times while carrying a torch or a candle. In a pinch a cigarette or a match will probably work, but try and use a glow stick and you will be in a world of pain. The direction one walks in, in this custom is called deasil.

Does it make we weird that I kind of want to go buy a tourch and make this my new "thing". To the point where when people associate me with it, as in, "Oh Eugenia? Is that the girl that's always walking around people with a touch?"

As I child I cultivated a completely forced form of OCD in order to get things I wanted.. I would tell myself that if I held my breath for a minute in a half and then doused my head in water while chewing a stick of peppermint gum, my mother would buy me an ice cream cone. Or that if I could succeed in not scratching the itch on the tip of my nose for five miuntes, then I wouldn't have to go to school the next day.

For a brief period of time I was obsessed with filliping my house over and walking on the celings. I would lie for hours with my head falling over the back of the couch imagining what a thrill it would be to sit next to my light fixtures and see my furniture and belongings secured to my celing. This became the fixation with my OCD. I would tell myself that if I said the alphebet backwards before I got on my school bus I would go home to find my house flipped over and I could finally be at peace. It may come as a surprise to you, that my spells never worked. But maybe i jusy never found the right spell. Or as it were, the right ancient custom made to bring good luck to some and flip over the houses of others.

Now, all I have to do is find a friend with too much time on their hands, figure out how to make and old fashioned torch and put the number to my local Fire Department in my speed dial.

Well, at least I know what my plans are for the next six to seven hours. God Speed.

3 comments:

jorg wobblington lopez said...

I am trying to come up with a method of using the spirit of an object to influence daily affairs, and the objects are moved diesel.

jorg wobblington lopez said...

I mean deasil

MEBEE said...

i used to have a form of OCD based on repetition, it went like this: "pleaseletmenotbeawomansoon pleaseletmenotbeawomansoon pleaseletmenotbeawomansoon pleaseletmenotbeawomansoon pleaseletmenotbeawomansoon"